World Wide Rice Consumption
- Hits: 1089
- Nearly half of the world’s population eat rice as part of their staple diet and demand is expected to grow by 50%by 2030.
- World rice production in 2007 was approximately 645 million tones with over 114 countries growing rice.
- Asian farmers produce about 90% of the total ,with two countries , china & India, growing more than half the total crop.
- There are more than 40,000 different varieties of rice.
- However, only around 10% are grown commercially.
- Most of the world’s rice is consumed in the area in which it is grown, just 6% traded internationally.
- The average person in U.K. eats4.4kg of rice each year compared with 40-60 kg in some parts of asia.